DBD::ODBC 1.36_2 is now on CPAN. I'm afraid this makes some incompatible changes with the last full release and for that I appologise. It seems I was just too ambitious defaulting the internal execute_for_fetch to on. I suspected some ODBC drivers would have bugs which prevented them from working but there are just too many actively used drivers for me to test them all and I hoped this would encourage fixes to them.
Yanick has just released a new development release of DBD::Oracle DBD-Oracle-1.43_00. As I mentioned in my blog a week or so ago, this release has a huge number of lines of code changed to remove the use of DBIS (see Changes to make DBIS more efficient and speeding up XS_DBI_dispatch()). This release removes the last few DBIS calls. As a result, if you are using a Perl built for threads (useithreads=define) this release is significantly faster than previous releases.
I've seen CPU usage nearly halved on fetches of large numbers of rows and I've had reports where people are doing lots of different selects for small numbers of rows of up to 10* quicker.
If you depend on DBD::Oracle you are strongly advised to try this version as this was over a 160K diff when I checked it in. If you notice anything broken please post an example to the dbi-users list.
A list of changes in this release is:
I have released DBD::ODBC 1.36-1 to cpan. With hindsight I was probably too ambitious releasing 1-35 with the default for execute_for_fetch enabled. This decision was based on a) my experience with writing bound arrays of parameters in the ODBC-ODBC Bridge b) I knew some drivers would have issues but I thought this might encourage fixes c) it is so much faster. As it turns out I am seeing issues currently with SQLite, Freetds, MS Access and even MS SQL Server.
I've uploaded Perl DBD::ODBC 1.35 to CPAN.
This is the culmination of 7 development releases in the 1.34 chain and is a significant release containing a lot of changes and enhancements. As always I would like to thank everyone who has helped and especially CPAN testers. The full list of changes since the last official release is below.
My intention is to release this as 1.35 in the next week so if you find any issues please let me know soon.
=head2 Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.34_5 February 17 2012
* The 40UnicodeRoundTrip tests counts could be 1 off in some cases.
* Fix for t/03batt.t which could fail a test if the data source had
no table - Kenichi Ishigaki
* If a driver misbehaves during global destruction e.g. SQLFreeStmt
fails but no error is available DBD::ODBC issues an error saying
an error occurred but no error diagnostics could be found. This is
I've uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.34_4 to CPAN.
This release contains all changes/fixes/enhancements since 1.33 and also the new odbc_getdigarec and odbc_getdiagfield methods.
=head2 Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.34_4 February 5 2012
* When odbc_getdiag* methods were added they installed themselves
into DBI but did not set IMP_KEEP_ERR so calling them cleared
=head2 Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.34_3 February 3 2012
* Linking against unixODBC was working by accident on most UNIX
I have uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.34_1 to CPAN. This release adds very experimental support for a native execute_for_fetch method to DBD::ODBC which means you can do multiple row inserts/updates/deletes much quicker than using DBI's default execute_for_fetch (so long as you are using execute_for_fetch or execute_array and using column-wise binding).
Native execute_for_fetch support can often be as much as 30 or 40 times faster in my experiments (depending on data sent and odbc_batch_size) when inserting rows and even more if you do it in a transaction and even faster if you disable index updates until after the commit. Read on for why.
By default DBD::ODBC will use the new execute_for_fetch and there are some differences between what happens when you use DBD::ODBC with DBI's default execute_for_fetch and DBD::ODBC's. To disable the ODBC one you can set the new odbc_disable_array_operations attribute. I've listed the potential difference below. I'd love people to test this. It may be missing some special workarounds for a few drivers but I'm working my way through those.
I've just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.33 to CPAN.
This release contains no new changes since the 1.32_5 development release but is the official release for all the 1.32 dev series. The complete changes can be found below. The main thrust has been Unicode improvements.
The most significant enhancements are:
and bug fixes:
In a rare moment (I hope) of stupidity last weekend when I was a little bored (bad cold stopped me doing what I really wanted to do) I looked through the DBD::ODBC TO_DO list and saw the "implement execute_array/execute_for_fetch" item which has been in that file for years. I know for sure implementing it will be a lot faster than using DBI's default methods (which effectively do a row at a time) mostly because I wrote an ODBC tutorial years ago showing how much faster binding arrays of parameters is (Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge Performance White Paper) but I also knew it would be a PITA to write. The main problem is that DBD::ODBC has loads of workarounds for broken drivers and special cases.
I've uploaded the 4th development release of DBD::ODBC 1.32. This version improves Unicode support in metadata functions even further. My intention is to release this as a full version in the next week unless I get a load of bug reports. The changes since 1.31 are: