My mum and dad bought me an Arduino Data Shield for Christmas (from Proto-Pic) but due to the weather and the fact if was sourced from America it did not arrive until after Christmas (over 3 weeks actually). I was initially surprised at the size of the package when it finally arrived and then discovered it was a kit of parts and not an assembled item (not a problem but I didn't spot this on the web site where it was bought from although looking at it again it does make this clear):
Once I'd familiarised myself with the Arduino development kit I wanted to try and use it to monitor my electricity usage. I know you can buy commercial devices which do this but I wanted more than the current usage; I wanted to log usage over time and I wanted to involve Perl somehow. I saw the Flukso ages ago and even tried to buy one but they were out of stock.
Just got back from my first visit to the London Perl Workshop. Thanks East Coast Railways for not only cancelling my train to London (and making me sit on the train at York station for an hour for nothing) but also for cancelling the one back from London. I'm ashamed to be English when people travelled to the workshop from out of this country in less time than it took me to travel 200 miles by train.
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend. It was great to put some faces to the people I've had contact with on the Internet (in particular ribasushi, timb, tux) and the talks were most enlightning. I have to pickout some highlights for me although I obviously did not see all the talks:
I ordered a Smiley Micros Arduino Workshop book and Projects Kit a few weeks ago. I'm based in the UK and Smiley Micros are in the US and I paid via PayPal so I expected it to take some time for it to arrive. The PayPal payment took the best part of a week but after that I received an email saying my kit was dispatched and 6 days later it arrived. Thank you Smiley Micros, US Postal Service and Parcel Force.
Firstly, I should say I don't use Windows that much these days. The Windows machines where I test DBI and DBD::ODBC I set up ages ago with a Perl built with MS Developer Studio and I tend to keep them for that purpose. However, I bought a whole load of nice shiny new parts to build myself a new PC a month ago and installed Ubuntu and Windows as I thought I could get a more up to date Perl on Windows at home.
Today someone posted a problem using the SQL Server XML datatype with DBI/DBD::ODBC on the dbi-users mailing list. I sorted their problem pretty quickly but noticed his code using length() on scalars which were bound with bound_col was not reporting the correct length. The example and output are below:
Just spent around an hour trying to get my wife's laptop to connect wirelessly to my Canon IP5000 printer connected to my new Windows 7 x64 machine. It all worked fine when I was running Windows XP x86.