In a rare moment (I hope) of stupidity last weekend when I was a little bored (bad cold stopped me doing what I really wanted to do) I looked through the DBD::ODBC TO_DO list and saw the "implement execute_array/execute_for_fetch" item which has been in that file for years. I know for sure implementing it will be a lot faster than using DBI's default methods (which effectively do a row at a time) mostly because I wrote an ODBC tutorial years ago showing how much faster binding arrays of parameters is (Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge Performance White Paper) but I also knew it would be a PITA to write. The main problem is that DBD::ODBC has loads of workarounds for broken drivers and special cases.
I've uploaded the 4th development release of DBD::ODBC 1.32. This version improves Unicode support in metadata functions even further. My intention is to release this as a full version in the next week unless I get a load of bug reports. The changes since 1.31 are:
NOTE: This is very much a document in progress so please bare that in mind when reading it - I will be updating it.
There is an ongoing discussion on the dbi-dev mailing list about unicode support in DBI. I've been trying to collect information on DBD support for Unicode in the hope it will help show whether there are inconsistencies in DBDs and whether the Perl DBI could help defining Unicode support. Originally, I thought about doing a talk at the London Perl Workshop but I've been rather preoccupied with personal issues and didn't think I'd even make the LPW until early last week. What follows is a very cut down version of a large document I started writing to catalogue Unicode support in DBDs. I've not done some DBDs yet - notably DB2 (because I no longer have it, although castaway on #dbix-class ran some code for me) and Postgres (because I know people are currently working on Unicode support in DBD::Pg). If you have a DBD I've not covered I'd love to hear from you and especially if you can take one of my examples and change it to work for your DBD.
I have just uploaded 1.32_2 development release of DBD::ODBC. This contains one rather nice enhancement for Windows users which adds the new odbc_driver_complete attribute described as below. This allows DBD::ODBC on Windows to obtain a window handle which means if the ODBC Driver Manager or ODBC Driver needs to throw a dialogue to complete the data source or perhaps re-enter an expired password it can. Any testing will be greatly appreciated. The full changes since 1.31 are:
Increasingly I'm seeing reports of modules failing (e.g., t/test_autoencoding_conversion.t fails and Gofer test failures with PERL_UNICODE=AS and PERL_UNICODE and smokes) when PERL_UNICODE is set - I see others saying much the same thing and apparently eve
What module do you use when doing any kind of HTTP programming - LWP? By far the most popular module for the HTTP protocol in Perl and one which just works and works well with a minimal amount of application code. Now you might be put off by the 123 bug reports in the LWP rt queue but in all my time I've never hit one myself - other than an issue which was not LWP but Perl and to do with tainted data used with LWP (see Why is taint mode so slow?).
I maintian DBD::ODBC but I am wrestling with problems coping with 64 bit platforms. The problem is rather complex but I'm hoping that by describing it here someone will help come up with a logical answer to at least stop DBD::ODBC building in circumstances which are suspect.
I have just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.31 to pause. This is the culmination of 7 development releases and I thought it was time to do an official release. Due to personal issues I am unlikely to be doing another update to DBD::ODBC in the near future but if you find issues please report them on RT and I'll try my best. The changes since 1.29 are below. There are significant changes since the last official release and a few changes in behaviour. If you didn't test a development release and it now goes wrong I'm sorry but after 7 development releases you had your chance.
I've recently stepped up from a bridge camera (a Panasonic Lumix) to a Nikon D3100 DSLR. I like the camera in general but one issue is bothering me a lot and it is the exposure metering and a too dark warning.