Recently I've had a spate of issues reported in dbi-users mailing list and direct to me wrt calling procedures in MS SQL Server. I thought it might be worth covering some of the more common ones here.
I've had a laptop stolen! It was a long time ago, I'd paid thousands for it (over £3000, it was a long time ago when laptops were a lot more expensive than now) and I was gutted. To make matters worse I'd not put a BIOS password on it and also this is when I discovered my mis-sold insurance policy only covered £1200. Thank you Skipton Building Society - not. I took it in to work to show a colleague Linux on it and made the mistake of leaving it in my bosses car whilst we went for a drink before going home. Someone got in to the underground car park, broke the window and made off with it - thief - sorry for your window boss. If I'd installed a BIOS password then at least I would have had the small comfort that although not impossible to get around, it would have made matters difficult.
In this example for Linux we will install the unixODBC driver manager and an ODBC Driver and get data back from Microsoft SQL Server. We are ignoring access from any particular programming language or interface and just use the isql utility that comes with unixODBC but for further information about access from PHP, Perl, Python etc see
You will need to know:
Today I released a new development version of DBD::ODBC (1.23_2).
It all started when a daemon I am developing hit a job which took too long to run and so it ignored any connecting clients whilst running the job. A long term plan exists to sort this out but it is getting in the way of some test code so I decided to write a small workaround until I am ready to implement the full solution. The workaround seemed so simple I thought it would only take half an hour to do - how wrong I was.
Yet more time today spent tracking down another bug in Microsoft's SQL Server native client ODBC driver reported in RT for DBD::ODBC.
Perl can be a lot of fun and it can mean tearing your hair out; not that I'm suggesting other languages aren't the same. For the second time in a week I've been caught out by a nasty bug but after an hour or so of investigation imagine my surprise to see it appears to be a 5 and half year old Perl bug.