I've just sent to the CPAN the 1.39 release of DBD::ODBC. This contains some bug fixes, one major enhancement to support TAF and one change in behaviour you should note.
I'm sat in my study writing this on my new Raspberry Pi - how cool is that? It arrived yesterday from Farnell from whom I preordered it nearly 6 months ago. Bare with me as I'll get to the Raspberry Pi and Perl but first some observations on what got me into programming.
Yanick and I have been trying to keep on top of DBD::Oracle RTs but the time I have to do this is short. There are also some issues I don't feel in a position to investigate. There are 35 outstanding RTs which is a significant improvement on 2 years ago when it was over 50 but that is still a depressing number in my mind.
A week ago one of our air conditioning systems blew up and took the others out with it. Temperatures quickly rose and before long nagios spotted a machine had gone down. Nothing really bad had happened at this point but when we could not get the air conditioning back online we had to temporarily turn off some non essential systems to keep the heat down. Could we have spotted this earlier?
I originally bought a OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD for my new machine (over a year a go, possibly more). It usually runs at around 40-45Gb used in Windows depending on what I've got in my documents folder. I felt things were slowing down and after downloading smartmontools and gsmartcontrol I realised my SSD firmware was way out of date (v1.11) and 1.37 was available.
Mostly due to the thread in dbi-dev at DBD::ODBC fetch is returning string for integer (unfortunately some of it was off list) and further comments and rt at Changes in binding columns in DBD::ODBC and DiscardString with SQL_INTEGER not working properly I have made significant changes to the binding of columns in a result-set for DBD::ODBC.
I've never used the USB slot in my Foxsat HDR PVR but just recently I wanted to view some video (wmv files) created by Picassa on my television. The video was too big to put on the only handy USB stick I had but I had a 150Gb maxtor USB drive so I copied it on to that and plugged it in to the foxsat. Although the foxsat recognised a USB device was inserted it could not read it stating it needed to be ext3, FAT16 or FAT32.
Personally I find it rare for modules to fail tests but I'd still rather know something is possibly wrong than have it ignored (it is easier to deal with it at that point).
I devoted some time to try and reduce the massive DBD::Oracle rt list today. Some issues should be fixed now (see below) but in the mean time we have a number of stalled issues and some issues more than 1 year old and some more than 3 years old!
DBD::ODBC 1.36_2 is now on CPAN. I'm afraid this makes some incompatible changes with the last full release and for that I appologise. It seems I was just too ambitious defaulting the internal execute_for_fetch to on. I suspected some ODBC drivers would have bugs which prevented them from working but there are just too many actively used drivers for me to test them all and I hoped this would encourage fixes to them.